Venezuelan Chef Victor Urbina demonstrates the importance of seasoning as he creates his flavoursome Chicken and Kale Waldorf Salad.
Chicken breast 800 g (200 g each breast)
Garlic cloves, finely chopped 12 g
Turmeric 5 g
Oregano 5 g
Kale 300 g
Mixed micro greens 3 g
Blue cheese 40 g
Low fat labneh 160 g
Walnuts 50 g
Celery 50 g
Green apple 80 g
Pomegranate seeds 40 g
Dry chili 3 g
Knorr Chicken Seasoning 15 g
Knorr Aromat Seasoning 10 g
Rock salt 16 g
Brown sugar 20 g
Black pepper 5 g
Fresh lemon juice 50 ml
Honey 10 ml
Olive oil 100 ml
Coconut oil 15 ml
Date syrup 25 ml
- Thaw chicken for 24 hours in the chiller. Once thawed, wash in cold water for 5 minutes and leave to dry for 3 minutes.
- Mix the garlic, turmeric, oregano, coconut oil, Knorr Chicken Seasoning, Knorr Aromat Seasoning, 8 g rock salt and 3 g black pepper in a bowl.
- Place the chicken in the marinade and leave in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Sear the chicken on a high heat on the grill for 2 minutes, each side.
- Cook the chicken in the oven at 100°C for 2 hours, rest for 10 minutes, then slice.
Remove the kale stems, wash with cold water and air dry for 5 minutes. Reserve in chiller.
Blend 30 ml fresh lemon juice, 60 ml olive oil, honey, 3 g rock salt and 2 g black pepper, and keep aside.
Infuse the dry chili with the remaining olive oil and 3 g rock salt and reserve.
- Preheat a skillet for 30 seconds, add the walnuts, brown sugar and date syrup, carmelize for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat, place on a flat tray lined with greaseproof paper. Once cooled, gently crush them and reserve to one side.
Blue cheese labneh
Blend the blue cheese, labneh and 2 g rock salt for 2 minutes and reserve.
Apples & celery
Julienne the apple and celery, place in remaining lemon juice and reserve.
- Smear a spoonful a blue cheese labneh from one corner of the dish to the other.
- Toss the kale in the lemon dressing and place on top of the blue cheese labneh.
- Add the apple and celery on top of the kale.
- Place the warm sliced chicken on top on the salad.
- Sprinkle over the carmelized walnuts, pomegranate seeds and micro greens.
- Finish with a drizzle of chili oil over the salad.
Want to hear more stories from Chefs like Victor? Sign up to our newsletter and they’ll be delivered straight to your inbox!